Rail & Structural Mill of BSP was commissioned in the year 1960 and has a total capacity of 750,000 tonnes per annum. The steel for rail making comes from the BOF - concast route.
BSP has installed facilities for finishing of longer rails in 2002. It was envisaged to produce finished rails upto 78 meter length.
This project was successfully commissioned in the year 2004 by VAI-POMINI, Austria, Beekay Engg. Corpn., Bhilai and SIEMENS, INDIA. Our scope of work included Civil & Structural Wroks, Supply & Erection of Mechanical, Hydr. Lubrication System, Utilities etc. The package broadly covered following equipment :
- Roller Tables.
- Stationary Stops / Receding Stops.
- Walking Beam Type Cooling Bed with Pre-cambering, Rail Extractor & forced cooling arrangement.
- Transfer Beds.
- Rail Handling Facilities .
In this project, Beekay also installed following equipment in association of their associates M/s. NDT Technologies, Inc. Canada Linsinger, Austria and Berner, Germany namely :
- Laser Based Straightness Measurement System.
- Eddy Current Testing System.
- Ultrasonic Testing Machine.
- 3 Nos. Carbide Saws in association with Linsigner, Austria were installed .
- 3 Nos. Rail End Straightening machines.
Another Long Rail Handling Facility is installed as part of Rail Welding Plant. The Rail Handling System was successfully commissioned in 2005
The Rail handling System is envisaged to handle finished welded rail panels of 260/240/234 meter long in shipping & storage area for dispatch of rails. Rails are lifted from Roller table by 22 Nos. Synchronised Electric hoists equipped with automatic lockable clamps. These rails are stacked in the storage yard or loaded in the railway wagons.
The rails are transported in the following ways :
- From Roll table to storage.
- From Roll table to railway wagon.
- From storage to the railway wagon.